For Cooked Rice:
1 cup rice
3 cups water
For Spinach Curry:
2 cups of chopped spinach (Can use baby spinach leaves)
1 tsp Cumin seeds
4 red chillies
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tbsp of unsalted butter (Can use even oil)
Salt to taste
For the cooked rice,
- Cook 1 cup of rice in three cups of water. Rice triples in its volume when cooked.
- Make sure that the cooked rice are separated and not mushy and lumpy.
- Set the rice aside.
- You can cook the rice as the spinach curry is being cooked to save time.
- For the seasoning of Spinach Curry, heat a deep pan and add the butter (or oil) to the pan.
- Once the butter (or oil)has been heated enough add the cumin seeds.
- As the cumin seeds crackle,add a pinch of asafoetida and add the red chillies.
- Add the chopped spinach to the seasoning and mix all the ingredients well.
- Add salt according to taste and mix well.
- The spinach will wilt and reduce in quantity.
- Cook for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- The spinach curry is done.
- Ensure that there is no much of water in the curry and the curry is dry.
- Take the cooked rice and spread it in a wide pan.
- Add the spinach curry to the cooked rice and mix the rice and the curry well.
- Hot spinach rice is ready to serve.
Spinach rice can be enjoyed best alone. There is no side-dish required. Raita can be used as an accompaniment if needed.
Enjoy your spinach rice!