1 cup of Mint leaves /Pudina
1" stick of cinnamon
2-3 Bay leaves
4 Whole Green Cardamom
1-2 Star Anise
1 floret Mace/ Jawetri
3-4 Green Chillies
1/2 cup of Grated/ Shredded coconut
2 tbsp of butter
Salt to taste
For the Mint Chutney:
- In a shallow frying pan, melt about 1/4 tbsp of butter.
- To this add the green chillies, mint leaves and the shredded/ grated coconut.
- Roast all the ingredients well on low flame until the mint leaves wilt well.
- Once done, remove from the pan.
- After the mixture has cooled, blend it will in a blender and grind it to a coarse paste.
For the Rice:
- Soak 2 cups of rice in the electric rice cooker or a normal pressure cooker for about 30 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan.
- To this, add all the dry spices: cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom (seeds with the skin slit), star anise, mace, pistachios and the cashews.
- Roast for about a minute or two on medium heat. Then add the ground paste and fry well.
- Add salt to this and turn off the heat.
- Add this mixture to the soaked rice and cook until done. (For pressure cooker let 2 whistles. Rice will be done quickly as it was soaked for 30 minutes).
- Serve hot with Raita.