Biscotti's are very popular in Italy. There are many versions of making a Biscotti. This Biscotti recipe was derived from Whole-Wheat Walnut Raisin Biscotti. I have recreated the same into a different version. I have substituted Cashews for Almonds and have used egg substitute instead of using 2 large eggs. The other ingredients are very much alike. Biscotti's have to be baked twice. Once the loaf has to be baked as a whole. The second baking is after slicing the loaf and baking the pieces to get a crusty and a crispy Biscotti.I have also given them a glaze which is a mixture of milk,icing sugar and Ground cinnamon. This is how I made these easy and tasty Biscotti's!
3/4th cup of Whole Wheat flour
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup California Raisins
1/2 cup Cashews
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Egg Substitute (Equivalent to 2 eggs):
2 tsp Flaxseed Powder
1/2 cup of Water
Source: Madhuram's Eggless Cooking
For the Glaze:
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp milk
- Sift the flour and add the other dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Add the Cashews and Raisins and mix.
- In a different bowl, mix 2 tsp of flaxseed powder and 1/2 cup of water and the vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add milk in small increments to get the consistency of a dough.
- Make a loaf of the dough in the dimensions that you are comfortable. I made a 5" X 8" loaf.
- Place the loaf on a baking sheet lined with foil/ parchment paper.
- Bake the loaf in the oven at 3500 F for 20 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven.
- Let it cool for some time.
- Take a sharp serrated knife and cut the loaf into thin slices diagonally.
- Arrange the slices on the baking tray.
- Prepare a glaze of icing sugar and ground cinnamon and apply on the slices.
- Place the slices back in the oven at 3000 F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven,cool them and store them in an air-tight container.
Biscotti's can be enjoyed with tea or coffee, breakfast or evening snack....Anytime...Enjoy!!