Thursday, November 11, 2010

Instant Mango Pickle/ Manga Thalar Oorgai

Mango pickle and Ripe mangoes are my all time favorite..I have never made this pickle in the 2 years that I have stayed here. I found the raw mangoes a few days back at the local grocery store and I decided that I would make this quick and easy instant pickle. You can store this pickle for almost a week but I am sure that the pickle will be empty from the refrigerator in a jiffy. Here is the recipe.



Ingredients:

Raw mango - 1
Oil - 2 tbsp
Asafoetida - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - According to taste

Method:
  • Wash the mango and pat it completely dry. Make sure that there is no moisture on the mango.

  • Cut the mango into small bite sized pieces and keep it aside.

  • In a pan heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and allow the seeds to pop. 

  • Turn off the flame after the mustard seeds pop up. Allow the oil to cool down a little.
  • Do not cool the oil completely. Add Asafoetida to the warm oil.

  • Then add the turmeric powder, Red Chilli powder and salt to the oil and mix it all well.







  • Allow the oil to completely cool down .

  • Add the cut mango pieces and mix well.
  • Keep the pickle aside for about 2 - 3 hours.
  • This pickle stays good for about 1 week.
  • Enjoy the pickle with any mixed rice or curd rice.


No comments: