I wanted to make Thattai's during Diwali. But I just did not have the time to make it. I just could not stop thinking of Thattai's for the past few days and finally decided to make them. They are perfect for eating as a snack with tea, or with Rice or just like that when you get bored!!
How I made them?????
Rice Flour - 1 Cup
Urad Flour - 3 Tbsp
Sesame seeds - 1 Tbsp
Chana Dal - 2 Tbsp
Asafoetida - 1/2 Tsp
Crisco or Dalda - 1 Tbsp
Ghee - Clarified Butter - 1 Tbsp
Curry leaves - A Few
Salt - According to taste
Water - A few tablespoons
Oil - For Frying
- Soak the Chana dal in water for about 2 hours and drain the water and keep aside.
- Take a bowl and add the rice flour, urad flour, sesame seeds, soaked chana dal, asafoetida, crisco/dalda, ghee and the curry leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients well without adding water.
- After mixing the ingredients well, we have to be able to hold the dough together between our fingers and our palm.
- Add water slowly using a spoon and make a very stiff dough.
- The dough should be like as shown below.
- Take an aluminum foil or a zip-lock cover for making the Thattai's.
- Take a little bit of ghee for greasing the hands so that flattening the Thattai's will be easy.
- Make small balls out of the dough and place it on the foil and flatten it out.
- Do not make it very thin otherwise they will break while removing.
- Make enough Thattai's and keep so that it gets easier and it saves you a lot of time.
- Prick the Thattai's with a fork so that they don't puff up while frying.
- In a pan heat oil and once the oil is hot enough, drop in a few Thattai's and allow them to fry for some time.
- Once they fry on one side, turn them so that they fry equally on the other side.
- Once they turn golden brown,you can remove them from oil.
- Drain out the excess oil and place them on a paper towel.
- Allow the Thattai's to cool down completely before relishing them.
- Store the Thattai's in a air-tight container and it stays fresh for about a week.
- You can dry roast the curry leaves and add them or add dried curry leaves too.
- Crisco or Dalda is added so that the Thattai's get more crispy.