I had a nice plump raw banana at home and was very tempted to make Podimas out of it, just the way it was made during our wedding. I had a very vague idea as to how to make it. But I needed the exact method to make it. I looked it up into Shanthi's Cookbook. She had this delicious tasting Vazhakkai Podimas. I tried the recipe and it came out really very yum. I have altered the measurement of the ingredients as per my taste. Here is the recipe.
Raw Banana - 1
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Chana Dal - 1 tsp
Ginger - Chopped - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - A few
Dry red chillies - 4
Salt - To taste
Coriander leaves - A few (Chopped)
Lime Juice - 2 tsp (I used concentrate)
- Cut the Raw Banana into big pieces and boil them in water for about 15 minutes.
- Once the bananas have cooled, peel them and grate them coarsely.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Once the oil is hot add the mustard seeds, Urad dal and Chana dal.
- Then add the dry red chillies, curry leaves and chopped ginger.
- Then add the grated raw banana and add salt.
- Add about 3 tbsp of water and cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add the chopped coriander leaves and drizzle the lime juice over the curry.
- Serve hot with Rice.
- Enjoy the Vazhakkai Podimas!!