Friday, November 12, 2010

Vazhakkai Podimas / Raw Banana Curry



I had a nice plump raw banana at home and was very tempted to make Podimas out of it, just the way it was made during our wedding. I had a very vague idea as to how to make it. But I needed the exact method to make it. I looked it up into Shanthi's Cookbook. She had this delicious tasting Vazhakkai Podimas. I tried the recipe and it came out really very yum. I have altered the measurement of the ingredients as per my taste. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

Raw Banana - 1
Oil  - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Chana Dal - 1 tsp
Ginger - Chopped - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - A few
Dry red chillies - 4
Salt - To taste
Coriander leaves - A few (Chopped)
Lime Juice - 2 tsp (I used concentrate)

Method:

  • Cut the Raw Banana into big pieces and boil them in water for about 15 minutes.

  • Once the bananas have cooled, peel them and grate them coarsely.

  • In a pan, heat the oil. Once the oil is hot add the mustard seeds, Urad dal and Chana dal.





  • Then add the dry red chillies, curry leaves and chopped ginger.







  • Then add the grated raw banana and add salt.



  • Add about 3 tbsp of water and cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes.

  • Turn off the flame and add the chopped coriander leaves and drizzle the lime juice over the curry.



  • Serve hot with Rice. 



  • Enjoy the Vazhakkai Podimas!!

5 comments:

Padhu Sankar said...

Nice dish and lovely step by step pics and explanation!!Do drop by http://www.padhuskitchen.com
when u find time

Pappu said...

hi,

first time in your lovely blog. yummy recipes with nice clicks. pl do visit my blog when u find time:)

cheers
shalini

Priya Sreeram said...

hey gayu,
i love ur fabulous presentation and lovely pics--- rock on !

Priya Suresh said...

My favourite podimas,love just with rasam rice..

Pushpa said...

Delicious vazhakai podimas looks tempting.