For the filling:
Khoya - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 4 Tbsp
Cashews - 1/4 Cup
Raisins - 1/4 Cup
Freshly grated coconut - 1/2 cup
For the Dumpling cover:
All purpose Flour - 2 cups
Fine semolina - 2 Tbsp
Salt - A pinch
Oil for frying
- Now add freshly grated coconut to this khoya.
- Add cashews and raisins and mix well.
- Turn off the heat once the above ingredients are added. Add the sugar when the mixture is just warm.
- In another bowl, add the all purpose flour, semolina and salt and make it into a stiff dough.
- Let the dough sit for 30 minutes. The filling will also cool down completely by then.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll it out into a small circle.Place a spoon full of the sweet filling in the center of the dough.
- Cover the dough over it in a semi-circular shape.
- Take a fork and use its edges to form a design over the corner of the dumplings.
- The Somasi/ Dumpling is now ready to fry.
- In a pan heat oil. Once the oil is hot drop the dumplings and fry until golden brown.
- Enjoy it hot or cold!!
Do not add the sugar when the mixture is hot, otherwise the mixture will melt.