3 medium sized tomatoes (Finely chopped)
2 medium sized onions (Finely chopped)
3-4 green chillies (Finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (Minced or chopped)
1 teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of red chili powder (optional)
1 sprig of curry leaves
1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds, Urad Dal and Chana Dal
Salt to taste
Oil for seasoning (About a table spoon)
For the Gojju Powder:
- In a small fry pan, roast the Cumin seeds and the Fenugreek seeds together until the aroma from both the spices are released.
- Grind it into a slightly coarse powder and keep it aside.
For the Gojju :
- Take a deep pan and add about a tablespoon of oil.
- Once the oil is hot add Mustard seeds, Urad Dal, Chana Dal and curry leaves.
- After the mustard seeds crackle, add the chopped onions and green chillies.
- Then add the garlic and mix well. Garlic is added after onions and green chillies to prevent it from burning.
- Sauté them until translucent.Then add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Now add the turmeric powder, salt and red chili powder. Along with all these add the ground Fenugreek and Cumin powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well. Cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Mix the contents in between and cook for an additional 5-10minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.Tomato Gojju is ready to serve.
Enjoy eating and I will be back with a new recipe soon!!
- Red Chilli powder is for the extra red color. It can be adjusted to taste and is optional since we already added green chillies.