Beetroot Kootu is an all time favorite in my family. We relish it a lot and like to eat it with Chapathi.Today I prepared Beetroot Kootu for dinner and I am sharing the same recipe here.
Beetroot - Chopped into small cubes - 1 cup
Moong Dal - 1 cup
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Black Peppercorns - A few
Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Oil - 2 Tbsp
Cilantro - For Garnishing
Curry leaves - One sprig
Salt - To Taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add the cumin seeds and black peppercorns. Then add the grated coconut and roast it for 2-3 minutes.
- Then grind this roasted mixture till it becomes a coarse paste.
- Pressure cook the Moong dal and Beetroot along with some salt for about 3 whistles.
- Take a wok/Kadai and add 1 tbsp oil and add mustard seeds. Once the mustard crackles, add the curry leaves and the ground paste and stir well.
- Add the cooked dal and beetroot and cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with Roti or Rice.
- You can even use green chillies instead of black peppercorns.
- You can substitute Masoor Dal in place of Moong Dal.