Sunday, October 31, 2010

How to make Khoya/ Mawa

Diwali is around the corner and I guess all of you will be very busy making a variety of sweets and savories at home. I am also looking forward to a fun-filled evening of lights and celebrate it with my family. There has been constant experimentation going on in my kitchen for making a variety of dishes. I was trying to make Khoya with evaporated milk and I got it right.Khoya is used to make several desserts like Peda, Gujiya and Kalakand. I am planning to make Peda's for Diwali and will be using the same recipe to make Khoya. Hope you all will try this and enjoy the dish.I am sharing the same recipe here.

Ingredients:

Milk powder - 1 1/2 cups
Evaporated milk - 1 small can - 5 oz (147 ml)
Ghee - 4 tablespoons

Method:


  • In a bowl, add the milk powder and loosen it up using a fork.
  • Add the can of evaporated milk and mix it well. Knead it to form a soft dough.
  • Add the ghee and knead it well till the dough binds together well and is formed into a nice ball.
  • Refrigerate the ball of dough as it is and later grate it and use it as required.
  • Else, you can knead the dough and put it in the refrigerator.Later remove it and crumple it into crumbs and store it in a air-tight container and again refrigerate it.This will be easier as you can use the quantity required easily than breaking the dough ball every time you want to use it.
  • Enjoy making the khoya and many more desserts for Diwali.




No comments: