Horse Gram is called Kollu in Tamil and Hurali Kaalu in Kannada. It is very good source of protein and very rich in its iron content. This gram is considered as a part of weight loss diet. It is also used to improve water retention in the body. This gram is used to make Usali/ Usal/ Sundal. This gram can be sprouted and used in salads.This gram is also used as a feed for horses in many parts of India.Here is the recipe for this yummy Horse Gram Sambar.
Horse gram - 1/2 cup
Tamarind paste - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder - 2 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 1 table spoon
Cumin powder - 2 teaspoons
Red Onions - Finely chopped - 1 small onion
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
For Masala to be ground:
Shallots - 4-5
Coconut - Grated - 1/4 cup
Garlic cloves - 3-4
Dry Red chillies - 2
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
- Soak the horse-gram overnight in sufficient water and set it aside.
- Next day, pressure cook the horse gram.
- Grind all the ingredients required for the Masala and keep it aside.
- Take a pan and add the oil, add the mustard seeds and allow the mustard seeds to pop up.
- Add the finely chopped red onions and curry leaves and fry till the onions get golden brown.
- Then, add the ground masala.Fry till raw smell from the Masala goes away.
- Now add the tamarind paste, turmeric powder, Red Chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and add 2 cups of water.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add the horse gram and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with Ragi Mudde. This can also be served hot with rice.
- This Sambar tastes even better when eaten the next day.